The coating of products can be complex, resulting in excessive waste and increased operating costs. Spray Analysis and Research Services of Spraying Systems Co. helps clients optimize the coating process across markets.
Coating Spray Analysis and Research
Overspray, poor containment and over- and under-applied material can all contribute to issues such as an unsafe work environment, contaminated equipment and unacceptable end products. In addition, if the coating involves applying viscous slurries and liquids, production problems can be compounded by the difficulty maintaining consistency and repeatability in the overall process. We can help optimize a wide range of coating applications, including:
- Food processing involving the spraying of chocolate, oils or flavoring slurries onto static or conveyorized targets
- Applying antimicrobial solutions onto packaging
- Adding lotions or fragrance to woven or non-woven textile products
- Lubrication of medical supplies, mechanical parts or systems
- Applying coating material to tablets in a rolling drum
Coating processes often include materials of various rheologies. For conveyorized coating applications, the most commonly used facility in the Spray Analysis and Research Services laboratory is the mock-up conveyor system, which has the ability to change the line speed, spray height, number of nozzles and overlap distance, spray angle and liquid distribution. Transfer efficiency can be evaluated based on the nozzle flow rate and the weight of the material deposited onto a target. For tablet coating applications, volume flow rate combined with liquid distribution and droplet size across the spray plume are critical parameters.